By Hebrew Seminary President Rabbi Dr. Douglas Goldhamer
Here is a short meditation to rid ourselves of anxiety. We have all been going though an anxious time recently, worrying about COVID-19.
- Close your eyes. Breathe in through your nose, and out through your nostrils three times.
- Join me in saying this: “TRUST IN HASHEM WITH ALL YOUR HEART. DON’T DEPEND ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. ACKNOWLEDGE HIM IN ALL YOUR WAYS. THEN HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATHS.’
- Now put both your hands on your heart and say to yourself silently, as a mantra, again: “TRUST IN HASHEM WITH ALL YOUR HEART. DON’T DEPEND ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. ACKNOWLEDGE HIM IN ALL YOUR WAYS. THEN HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATHS.”
- What does this mean? Don’t worry: Acknowledge Him means Praise Him. Say blessings. If I trust in Hashem, He will direct my paths.
- Now, see yourself entering an ELEVATOR at the 15th floor.
- Press the button G for ground floor.
- Visualize the doors closing, and the elevator begins to descend. See the panel of numbers on the wall of the elevator.
- As you pass each floor , the floor numbers light up – 14, 13, 12, 11…..
- Visualize and feel the elevator reach the ground floor. The doors open and you emerge from the elevator –your anxiety is gone. You are anxiety free.
- Breathe in through your nostrils and out through your mouth three times. When you are ready, open your eyes.